Pages

December 5, 2011

Christina Rossetti

(5 December 1830 – 29 December 1894)


REMEMBER

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

Christina Georgina Rossetti after Dante Gabriel Rossetti
photograph of drawing, albumen print, 1877


EMLÉKEZZ

Emlékezz rám, ha tőled messze-messze
A hallgatag országba érkezem
S nem foghatod meg többet a kezem,
Én nem fordulhatok el tévedezve.
Emlékezz rám, ha majd magad leszesz te
S nem szólsz jövőnkről, úgy, mint rendesen:
Csak emlékezz, és értsd meg, kedvesem,
Késő tanács, imádság, minden eszme.
De ha felejtesz s aztán valahogy
Emlékezel reám, ne búslakodj.
Mert hogyha Éj s Romlás a szenvedélyt
Nem ölte meg, mely hajdan bennem élt,
Százszorta jobb, hogy mosolyogsz s felejts,
Semmint emlékezz és egy könnyet ejts. 

Kosztolányi Dezső fordítása


 
The Rossetti Family in the garden of Dante Gabriel Rossetti’s house in Cheyne Walk.
by Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
albumen print, 7 October 1863
Dante Gabriel (left), Christina, their mother Frances, William Michael Rossetti (right)
NPG

_____
In: Költőnők antológiája, Sapphótól napjainkig, Nap Kiadó, 2003

.