Pages

February 3, 2012

Gertrude Stein (February 3, 1874 – July 27, 1946)



Man Ray, Gertrude Stein and Picasso's Portrait (1922)

"I was and still am satisfied with my portrait, for me it is I, and it is the only reproduction of me which is always I, for me." (Gertrude Stein) 


***
 
"The minute you or anybody else knows what you are you are not it, you are what you or anybody else knows you are and as everything in living is made up of finding out what you are it is extraordinarily difficult really not to know what you are and yet to be that thing.” 
 - Gertrude Stein, excerpt from 'Everybody's Autobiography'.

Seeing Gertrude Stein: Five Stories  (NPG)

UbuWeb: Gertrude Stein

Gertrude Stein reads her "If I told him - a completed portrait of Picasso" (vimeo)

Tender Buttons (Bartleby)

27 Rue de Fleurus, Paris, 1920

"So Paris was the place that suited those of us that were to create the twentieth century art and literature naturally enough." (G. S., 'Paris France, Personal Recollections')



Alice B. Toklas and Gertrude Stein with Pepe and Basket I
Billignin, France, 1932

via Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library


"As long as the outside does not put a value on you it remains outside but when it does put a value on you then it gets inside or rather if the outside puts a value on you then all your inside gets to be outside." - from 'Everybody's Autobiography'



- Sacred Emily (1913)

No comments:

Post a Comment