Pages

December 3, 2013

Jean-Luc Godard (born 3 December 1930)

Jean-Luc Godard, Berlin 1961. Photo by F.C. Gundlach


A story should have a beginning, a middle and an end, but not necessarily in that order.
 *
Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second.
*
 You don't make a movie, the movie makes you.
 *
I make film to make time pass.
 *
To me style is just the outside of content, and content the inside of style, like the outside and the inside of the human body - both go together, they can't be separated. 
 *
Art attracts us only by what it reveals of our most secret self.
 *
The cinema is not an art which films life: the cinema is something between art and life. Unlike painting and literature, the cinema both gives to life and takes from it, and I try to render this concept in my films. Literature and painting both exist as art from the very start; the cinema doesn’t. 
 *
It's not where you take things from — it's where you take them to.
 *
In my cinema, there are never any intentions. It's not me inventing this empty auditorium. I don't want to say anything, I try to show, or to get feeling across, or to allow something else to be said after the fact.
*
The truth is that there is no terror untempered by some great moral idea.
*
All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.
 

 I consider myself as an essayist, I make essays in the form of novels or novels in the form of essays: only I film them instead of writing them. If the cinema were to disappear I would move on to television, and if television were to disappear, I would go back to using pencil and paper.  -- Jean-Luc Godard

On the set of:
 Le mépris / A megvetés, 1963

 Une femme est une femme / Az asszony az asszony, 1961

 Une femme est une femme / Az asszony az asszony, 1961

 On the set of Masculin, féminin / Hímnem, nőnem, 1966


 Pierrot le fou / A bolond Pierrot, 1965

Behind the scenes of Vivre sa vie / Éli az életét, 1962



Le petit soldat / A kis katona, 1963

Jean-Luc Godard and Anna Karina, Cannes, 1962

A still frame from Jacques Rivette’s film Paris Belongs to Us shows 
Jean-Luc Godard as he holds a newspaper where he wrote “Tu es adorable”





(Sources: Corbis, The Redlist, IMDb, Brainyquote, Wikiquote, Goodreads)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment